Education - Beyond Whitman
Post-Graduation Teaching Opportunities
Graduate School and Careers in Education
- The Whitman College Student Engagement Center offers resources on education-related jobs and careers.
- The Whitman College Student Engagement Center also offers resources for those interested in graduate school.
State-by-State Certification Requirements:
Students who are interested in learning about the teaching certification requirements for a given state should Google "Teaching Credential [Enter State Here]" or follow these links:
- Washington - //www.k12.wa.us/certification/teacher-certificate
- Oregon - //www.oregon.gov/tspc/Pages/index.aspx
- California - //www.ctc.ca.gov/
- Links to All 50 States Departments of Education - //education.uky.edu/AcadServ/content/50-states-certification-requirements
- Curated Information for all 50 States - //www.teacher.org - including...
- Detailed information on what it takes to become a certified teacher
- Career information and profiles for jobs within the field of education - including salary and job outlook
- State by state certification/licensing information
- State by state teacher shortage information
- Expert advice via interviews
- Information written by experienced and certified teachers, administrators, and teaching professionals
- Link to state requirements, opportunities, and average salaries - //teach.com/
- Public, Charter and Private Schools
- Achievement First (New York and Connecticut)
- Association Montessori International/USA
- American Montessori Society
- Independent Education (Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Washington, D.C.)
- National Association of Independent Schools (multiple locations nationally)
- New Leaders for New Schools (Bay Area, Charlotte, Chicago, New Orleans, Maryland, Memphis, New York City, Newark, Washington D.C.)
- Teach for America (many locations nationally)
- Uncommon Schools (New Jersey and New York)
- YES Prep Public Schools (Houston)
- STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) focused opportunities:
- Teaching Fellows: Different cities/states offer opportunities for recent college graduates to join their public school systems and gain experience while helping to raise student achievement.
500 Internal Server Error
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.
- Boston Teacher Residency
- California's Aspire Teacher Residency (Residency placements are available in East Palo Alto, Oakland, Los Angeles, Sacramento, Stockton and Modesto.)
- Colorado's Boettcher Teacher Residency Program
- Los Angeles Urban Teacher Residency
- Seattle Teacher Residency
- Urban Teacher Center (D.C. region) International Opportunities
- Austrian Teaching Assistants (USTA)
- French Teaching Assistantship Program (TAPIF)
- Fulbright US Student Program (English Teaching Assistantship - ETA): Grant lengths and dates vary by country.
- JET (The Japan Exchange and Teaching Program)
- Korean Teaching Assistants (TaLK)
- Peace Corps: Peace Corps Volunteers currently work in 76 countries; approximately 43 percent of volunteers work in education.
- Princeton in Africa
- Princeton in Asia
- Princeton in Latin America
- Whitman in China: Only Whitman College alumni are eligible to apply.
- WorldTeach: Fully and partially funded programs available for year-long and semester programs in American Samoa, Bangladesh, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Guyana, India, the Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Namibia, Panama, Poland, Tanzania, Thailand, and South Africa.